Monday, June 20, 2011

Bobcap - a free pattern

I've learned a lot about chemo hats over the past year or so since people have been writing me about the ones I've designed, but the thing that stays with me the most is the fact that your hair helps keep your head warm when you're sleeping.  This had never occurred to me.  When your hair is gone, you get cold, and it's just not cosy or even easy to sleep.

The solution is a sleep cap.  I've seen many versions of these, and what they all have in common is being Not Lumpy, because who wants to turn over onto a whomping huge cable?  But none of the ones I saw really made me think of my very hip friend who is starting chemo soon, so I designed this hat for her using an unfortunately out-of-circulation colourway in Playful from Twisted Fiber Art.


My idea was to keep it super plain on all sides, just letting the hand-dyed semisolid yarn be beautiful like her, and putting a little something onto the front for personality.  I decided on three ridges of seven stitches each, for luck - don't worry, it's not a hard maneuver - and knit my way up to the crown in no time.


Once I got it on and saw the angle those ridges make, well.


All I could think of was my big brother teaching the eight-year-old me to raise my eyebrow.

If you've been around my blogs long enough you will know how much I adored Bob, who died of malaria when I was just 15, and how much I think of him every day.  He was a lot older and I was a terrible pest, so he must have had a pretty huge patient streak. He didn't just take me on hikes and once to the local carnival when nobody else could be bothered, he also taught me how to tie my shoelaces, and - oh boy - how to raise my eyebrow like him and even waggle it.  I absolutely love being able to do that, at just the right moment in any conversation.  (I don't know about him, but while I can raise either, I can only waggle the right one.)

Anyway I had to name this hat for Bob.  And I think I have to make one for myself even though I have hair because you know what?  It looks to me like a pretty awesome snow-day hat.


Hope you enjoy it too, if you make one.

Download .pdf of Bobcap

11 comments:

Brendaknits said...

I love your little Bobcap. My Mom who lost her hair to chemo often mentioned her cold head at night. So thanks for this.

Anonymous said...

Love the hat but the file is broken. Can't get the pattern.

Mary Keenan said...

Sadly - not broken, just hard for some people to download it for some reason! If you e-mail me (link at bottom right of sidebar) I'll send you the file directly :^)

Anonymous said...

I love the hat to but where is the pattern? Sure would like to make it.
Reta
at
lakota@eastlink.ca

Mary Keenan said...

Technically the pattern is at the 'view .pdf...' link at the bottom of the posting Reta, but I'll e-mail you a copy!

Anonymous said...

What other yarn would use suggest. I can't afford the custom spun yarn that you used, but I would love to make this cute hat. Thank you!

Mary Keenan said...

You can substitute any sport weight yarn for this pattern nicely - I would stick with a wool for maximum stretchiness, as other fibers will either hold firm or sag out. There's lots of yummy sport weight out there so have fun!

Unknown said...

Oh I love your patterns thank you so much for sharing.
love your blogs too xxx

Mary Keenan said...

Thanks Glenys!

Jesi said...

Thank you so much for this pattern and for still giving it away in 2022. I can't wait to knit it.

Mary Keenan said...

So nice to think of you knitting it, Jesi!