Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crazy Cowl - a free pattern

Happy Valentine's Day!


When I first started getting this pattern ready to share, I noticed that I've sort of set a tradition of posting a free pattern on Valentine's Day... so I thought I'd hold out and save it for today.


So crazy, this cowl.


The pattern is designed specifically for the irregular but usually bulky yarn weights you produce when you first start to spin your own fiber - but it would work really well with commercial yarns too.  And because handspun varies so much, I've included advice for adapting the pattern to suit whatever weight of yarn you care to use.  Even if you would never dream of spinning your own yarn you can still make use of this Valentine's gift.


The fun thing about a Crazy Cowl is all the shapes you can make with it.  The entire cowl is buttonholes, with one (very large) button at each end; you can wear it close or loose or right off the shoulder, and leave a button-free corner hanging down or tuck it in.  Whatever suits you.  Or the weather or your outfit or mood.

And no matter how weird your cowl looks when it's done?


It still looks good on.


I hope you have a happy heart day, even if it's not Valentine's when you read this! And thank you so much for visiting here at Hugs.

Download .pdf of Crazy Cowl

5 comments:

Fran Rushworth said...

This is a great idea. I am working on a crochet version for a ball of my uneven handspun. I'd like to blog my pattern, if it comes out. More time unravelling than crocheting so far. I would of course link to your original, if its ok with you.

Mary Keenan said...

Fran, you should definitely blog your pattern! and let me know if you post it - I'd like to try it in crochet too :^)

Fran Rushworth said...

Thanks very much. I think I have the basic pattern repeat settled. Touch and go if the ball of wool will be long enough, though. I'll let you know when I blog!

Fran Rushworth said...

Designed, created and blogged
www.wooltribulations.blogspot.com

Mary Keenan said...

Omigosh, so cute! and I bet superfast, in crochet. Guys, the direct link is here:

http://www.wooltribulations.blogspot.ca/2013/06/roos-button-adjustable-cowlscarf-pattern.html

I know it will show up all messed up in this Comment line, but maybe you can cut and paste.