Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wave patterns

Sometimes life has a way of enforcing holiday time, and maybe I need to cultivate a greater proactive sort of interest in beaches because mine usually end up being sick days.  Right now it's a cold, and my head - sinuses? - are so full it's tough to keep my eyes open.

Good thing I can knit stocking stitch without looking, right?

In spite of being sick, I was still able to participate in a knitalong for the Winter Garden Hat over at Knitting and Tea and Cookies:

I didn't wait to block the hat, knowing too well that by today my eyes would be entirely at half mast. 

This is the smallest size, made I think for Carol who is tiny; I don't know if I'll make it to her gym on Monday but that's Valentine's Day and it would be good to bring her something after missing all of the last two weeks' sessions over illness and schedule.  She'll make me do face down planks anyway but maybe she'll notice less if I don't hold them for quite so long.

And as you may notice, I didn't knit it in Noro Silk Garden this time.  Partly because I didn't have enough left for a hat, and partly because I really wanted to see how the lace looks in a solid.  And now I want to see what it looks like in a darker solid.

In any shade though, I love the swirly top:

It's very cold at my house now, inside and out, and our heavy snows lately haven't stopped the squirrels:

This is the route they take over the top of my fence.  I guess I'm not the only one making scalloped edges.   The other fence's pattern isn't so striking

but I never get tired of looking at those trees, with leaves or without.  Don't they look like they're reaching out to each other in friendship?  I swear, two of those branches near the middle look like fingers intertwined.

And now, back to my busy vacation schedule.  I'm thinking of the sofa, with a sock I can knit in my sleep.  Or maybe just sleep?

2 comments:

Sally Anne said...

Oh Mary...poor you. I hope you get a chance to catch up on some rest.
The hats look wonderful !

heklica said...

Oh, get well soon!

The hat looks great in a solid yarn too. I daresay that perhaps it looks even better than in Noro because the monochromatic nature of it does not draw attention away from the pattern but rather to it.

Great photos, especially the squirels' scalloped trail, I looked at it in disbelief :)))