Monday, November 23, 2009

Lazy Day Lace Hat - a free pattern

I had intended to get this sequel to the Lazy Day Lace Shawl out to my fellow Holiday Knitters over a month ago, but as you may have noticed, I've been preoccupied with patterning a different hat set and a nifty scarf.

Better late than never:


This is a much quicker knit than the Shawl, too - two relaxing evenings in front of the TV will do it.

I made my original hat back in September and I've been testing it out in different weather conditions ever since: it is surprisingly warm in temperatures as low as freezing and also in gusty winds, when secured over a ponytail using the resize-able gap for same.


Note the use of matching Shawl as scarf. I am really, really enjoying wearing these two pieces together.

And it's funny... you wouldn't think something with as many holes as a lace hat knit on large needles would hold in the heat, but, in wool at least, it does. Strength in fragility, that's what this hat is about.

Other perks:

It's sized for both young girls and grown women, with a variation for light fingering to match a shawl made with that


A buttonhole tab on the side makes further adjustments a snap (I employed this feature for gifting purposes to minimize risk of the wrong size choice, but have been resizing mine near daily to suit my hair of the moment)


You can kind of flop it over to wear as a beret


and

Based on the reactions I get when I wear it, the style appeals to women of all ages.

Does it get any better than this?

(I hope so, because I love tinkering with hat ideas!)


Download .pdf of Lazy Day Lace Hat

19 comments:

Karen said...

Deep frustration here, as Blogger is not loading photos at the moment! However, I will be patient and check back later....

Sally Anne said...

Oh I LOVE it.....clever you, it's gorgeous !

Anonymous said...

Love it! I'm a beginner and going to try it... question though - after Row 7 it says to repeat rows 1-7 three more times. Do I "repeat rows 1&2 twice more" after row 2 each of the 7 times?
Thanks!

Mary Keenan said...

Gah! Yes, if I were writing this pattern today I would refer to Row 1 as Rows 1, 3, 5 and Row 2 as Rows 2, 4, 6, with Row 7 following so it's clearer what those first 7 rows are that you're repeating. Essentially you do those 7 rows, then do exactly the same thing again that you did before, three more times. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any problems!

MM said...

I'm working on my third repeat of rows 1-7 and I was a smidge confused about the casting on knitwise. I only did it the first time I stitched row 1 of the body, and not on every repeat. Did I totally botch it, or is that how it's supposed to be done?

P.S. I like how it looks so far, but it's not quite try-on-able yet.

P.P.S. Thank you for the pattern.

Mary Keenan said...

Ouch, I need to revise that! Yes, you do it only on the first time through row 1, to cover the gap. Afterward you're just working the stitches. Thanks for the heads-up on the wording!

MM said...

*phew* Thanks for the quick clarification. I'm so glad I don't need to start over :D

kwai67 said...

bonjour Mary. Thank you so much for providing us free nice chemo hats. i've been surfing a lot and just saw horrors before to fall in awe in front of your work. now, i cant stop thinking of knitting the same. may I know which yarn you used for the blue version ? thanks from Paris!

Mary Keenan said...

Ohhh, I loved that blue one too. It was a one-off hand dyed sock yarn from The Black Lamb, a nice little shop here in Ontario.

Natas Nest said...

Hi Mary, I just found your lovely blog by a link to this hat in AllFreeKnitting Newsletter. It's really a beautiful hat (and shawl), thanks for the pattern! And I'm your latest follower now, just signed in :-). Have a great day!!
xxx Nata

Mary Keenan said...

Welcome Nata, and I'm so glad you like the pattern!

MaddyP said...

Add me to your lists of admirers and followers. Great hat and scarf set. It's almost Christmas...!

Mary Keenan said...

Thanks, Maddy!

Frannie said...

Love the hat and scarf. May I sell items made with your patterns? I am in a craft show in November and part of my profits will go to HavenToHome dog rescue.
thanks...Fran

Mary Keenan said...

No Frances, my patterns are for personal use only. I'm sure you will be able to design something beautiful of your own to make for sale, though, and thanks for your kind words!

St Bernie girl said...

I love how this hat has a kind of old-fashioned look - just gorgeous! And of course you will continue "topping" (sorry haha) yourself - as perfect as so many of your designs/patterns are, you keep doing just that, again and again! Good for you and all of us, as is your incredible GENEROSITY for sharing all of these FABULOUS hats! Thanks you so very much, for all of these beautiful patterns and your wonderful creativity!!

Mary Keenan said...

That's so kind of you St. Bernie! It means a lot to me that people enjoy my patterns :^)

Bernadette said...

The pattern will not download. Message: "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

Mary Keenan said...

Bernadette, sometimes the server that hosts my patterns goes down for a bit so you could try again later, but you could also e-mail me at the link in the right-hand column of the blog page and I'll send it to you direct!