Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Shopping at a pioneer village

One cannot love yarn and visit a pioneer wool mill without hunting for wool in the gift shop. And I found some, tucked away in a basket in a corner:



It was embarrassingly inexpensive... $5 Canadian for 100g, as I recall. I have no idea what I will do with these two skeins, though 'felted purse' calls out every time I look at them. I think the yarn is a bit too scratchy for a hat (though who knows - everything seems to come out softer when I block with Soak) and I don't have a lot of flexibility for gauge swatching with such a small amount of yardage.

In another basket, I found knitting needles, and decided to buy this set of 4mm dpns:



Later, when I went to visit the River John Needle Company site, I discovered that they also make a rather fascinating straight needle designed for alternating between skeins of hand-dyed yarns - the swing needle.

I've actually avoided garments that would require several skeins of hand-dyed yarns because I'm too lazy to sort out the colour pooling issue, so I may have to give these needles some closer attention.

But first, I need to find some yarn. And that is not sarcasm: I have two days to get a particular type of yarn inside these four walls, and I have no idea where to get it. Wish me luck!

No comments: