Monday, March 9, 2009

Yarn-winding gone comfy

I'm not so much a fan of pacing around a chair to wind yarn - however luscious that yarn might be, and lately it has been - and I'm still unsure about the whole ball-winder thing - which model, do I really want a swift too, etc. - so I've figured out a way to wind a skein while sitting in bed with a book propped up on my knees, reading.

Why a bed? because it doesn't have an arm to bother the skein as it hangs, bracelet-like, from one's wrist. Yep, it's that simple: your arm becomes the chair back, and your left hand the You, Pacing. And the book has to have loose binding; the average paperback novel is not going to cooperate.

Don't be alarmed by this picture, which is only a demonstration and a poor one at that given the yarn colour against the fireplace. You don't really have to hold your arm this high.

About a million ball-winder-resistant knitters have been doing this for weeks, right? But if you're not one of them, give it a try. Maybe it's not quite so simple with a clingy yarn, but my silk/merino blends didn't get sticky till the end when it really didn't matter much, and I don't find winding clingy yarn off the back of a chair such a walk in the park either.

I bet it's easier to find the patience to address any knots or other altercations when you haven't just been walking around a chair for ten minutes, too.

2 comments:

Monali Mishra said...

Hi.I just stumble across your blog while searching ways to wind yarn into balls.Your idea is so simple and effective,i am going to try this too.Thanks a lot for this.And,i am so in love with your knitted products.you are a very skilled knitter. :) I wish i can do knitting like you,but i am more a crocheter and i love doing amigurumies. ;)

Monali Mishra said...

Oh,i for got to say,your victor is so adorable...specially with yarn balls...